https://477268.p3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cycling-coach-gary-tingley.png 0 0 Gary Tingley https://477268.p3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/cycling-coach-gary-tingley.png Gary Tingley2018-02-25 17:05:302019-02-10 23:51:10Gran Fondo and Century Ride Nutrition
Gran Fondo and Century Ride Nutrition
Getting ready for your first gran fondo or century ride?
- Increase your overall carbohydrate intake in the lead up 48 hours before the event, to include higher carbohydrate foods such as breads, potatoes, pastas, and rice.
- Eat a good size (not excessive) breakfast 2-3 hours before the event with foods that will not upset your stomach. Foods like oatmeal, pancakes, bananas, toast, or cereal.
- Your body is limited to around 60 grams of carbohydrate absorption per hour, so during the event a good strategy is to primarily consume liquid carbohydrate with electrolyte in 2 large bottles.
- Bring an extra baggie of drink mix with you to add to your bottles mid-ride at aid stations, supplementing your nutrition strategy with gels every 30-60 minutes, with caffeine as desired.
- Post-event, eat normal recovery foods with some added proteins and fats.
- Muth, Natalie. Sport Nutrition for Health Professionals. F.A. Davis Company, 2014.